One does not simply not loves sushi,
And to imagine that’s now something you can cook at your own home without having any chef skills, well, that’s just a dream come true, isn’t it?
Follow these simple steps and in a matter of hours you’ll have your own amazing home – made sushi, but most importantly, a really cool recipe to share 😉
- Bamboo Mat o Roller, you can get these in pretty much every super market, but here’s one online so you can chek it out.
- Sushi Rice, like this one.
- Nori sheets, like these ones
- Soy sauce.
- Sushi Rice vinegar, for example this one.
- Toasted sesame seeds, like these ones.
- Cream cheese.
- Bamboo Chopsticks, like these.
- Shrimp / Salmon / Any other filling you want
Step 1 : The Rice
- First, hand-wash all of the rice in the sink.
- At the begining, the water of the rice that you are washing is going to come off white, that only means you need to keep washing the rice.
- Wash the rice 6 or 7 times until the water comes off clear, that means your rice is ready to begin.
- Count how many cups of rice you have and put them on a container.
- In another container, put the same amount of cups you filled with rice but this time, fill them with water. So if it is 4 cups of rice in one container, you need to have 4 cups of water in the other container.
- Mix the water with the rice in a pot.
- Leave the pot covered on the stove for about 15 minutes over low heat. Before moving on to the next step, check that your rice is already cooked, if it’s still raw, leave it for a couple more minutes.
- Next, apply some rice vinegar. The amount really depends on your personal taste but for mine, I used about 50 milliliters. Mix very well.
- Finally, leave your rice covered with a moist cloth until it is no longer hot. This is a super important step because you want your rice to be at room temperature. This waiting can last up to 3 or 4 hours.
Step 2 : All of the filling
- Get the cucumber, peel it, take away the seeds, and chop it into small pieces.
- Get the avocado, chop it into small pieces as well.
- Get the toasted sesame seeds and just have them ready 😉
- Get the cream cheese and chop it into small pieces.
- Finally, get you shrimps and your salmon and make sure you also chop those into small pieces.
- For the next step we’ll be using the bamboo mats and for me, something that makes the whole thing easier is to cover the mats with plastic bags and use them that way. This is optional but I just think it makes everything less messy.
Step 3 : Making the makis
- Get a nori sheet over your bamboo mat. Place a layer of rice that cover the whole nori sheet. Don’t make the layer too thick nor too thin. Just make sure it covers the whole thing.
- Hold the nori sheet carefully and turn it over so the rice is now under the sheet.
- Place al of your ingredients over. Be carefull not to fill the whole nori sheet. You have to use only about 1/3 of the sheet.
- Take your bamboo mat and turn it until you cover almost half of your roll (see the picture above). And hold it tight.
- You should have something like this afterwards.
- Now, fold the bamboo mat starting from where you already folded and until the end of your nori sheet. This should cover everything and you should have all of your filling rolled up. Press tight and do a couple more rounds so the roll is tight and secure.
- Open your mat and you should have something like this (see picture).
- Add the toasted sesame seeds all over your maki.
- For a maki with the nori sheet outside and the rice inside, follow the same steps but instead of doing step 2 (turning the sheet over so the rice is under), leave it that way and just place all of the ingredients over the rice. Roll it up and you’re done.
Step 4 : Chop & Enjoy! ♥♥
- Chop the rolls with a knife really carefully. Get the knife wet before cutting for better results. If you can, use a special japanese knife.
Please share and tell me if you liked it! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial♡.
Send me you’re pics to @ferrodriguez_ ,